Wednesday, October 6, 2010

air research

I was recently invited to be a collaborator for a project I mention on movement 365 blog, called ARTVULUPS.


I am to do a piece about Air. (pdf)

My collaborator is Virginia Viado, an urban planner for a private corporation in the San Bernardino region.


I will be working on a smog map.
I am layering silhouetted areas from various air emission maps that are created by various agencies that are responsible for the air we breathe.

In addition, there will be some mapping that notes other emission related data, like electric car outlets, ethanol and veggie gas stations and so on... I'll post it when it is done.


Here is some research I did:

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours” - Swedish Proverb

Allesandro Ricci - smog paintings
Article about the artist.

Kim Abeles
smog portraits, maps etc.

Artist known as Smog City

Charles Gaines "Greenhouse" + article in White Hot Magazine


Air Now dot gov -- link to air quality website

UK smog exhibition

I should really quit smoking. I just don't feel like it right now.

Particulate Matter - little air polluting particles


breathe in, breathe out








“If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it.” - Anais Nin