Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Because artists don't eat ... or something

I just finished a piece for a project in conjunction with the American Planning Association conference to be held in 2011.
"breathe"


The piece includes cigarette ash, carbon monoxide blown on the canvas, crushed pine needles, embroidery, CO2 (aerosol)...I literally put aspects of the sky and of air quality on the piece. It was a challenge, but I am happy with the results. =

I looked up women environmental artists and am newly acquainted with Agnes Denes and was glad to see her Wheatfield, created about 25 years before the Lauren Bon Cornfield. Both very industrious projects. Here is another article on land and environmental art on World Changing dot com.

This last month I have also been thinking about sustainability which lead to thoughts about groceries. We have been really slack on getting our food garden going this past year....as if we have no motivation to survive.

Food talk doesn't seem particularly conducive to an art blog. But, I have a somewhat secret photo stash of my food. I post them every now and then -- to the chagrin of unsolicited advice from people who tell me that I should only post serious stuff about my art if I want to be taken seriously. I don't know, I thought everyone had to eat, but maybe in some art world circles the artists exist on osmosis or something.

In the mean time, live long and prosper.




originally written for movement 365, Leora Lutz, 12/6/2010