Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Kathy Prendergast: Maps, Appropriation, Originality and "The Lady's Hand"

Kathy Prendergast and I are working with similar subjects and materials. One could say our work is alike, in a way. For example, she and I both use maps, either literally or conceptually in our work. But you can't really say simply, that I am making work, "like hers."
In describing “Lost Map” Prendergast writes: “For the last few years I have been researching place-names with the idea of producing an “Emotional Atlas of the World.” This atlas would show all the places in the world which have names connected with emotions, i.e., Lost Bay, Lonely Island, Hearts Desire, etc., rather than the conventional atlas which shows places of importance. “Lost Map” is a variation on this theme. Through Prendergast’s work, we may come to know every “lost” place in North America.

 "Lost Map" by Kathy Prendergast eliminates all locations except those with the word Lost in their name.
image courtesy of Tate Modern.

Kathy Prendergast's Black Map Series (detail) - Ink on Map. By blacking out most of the map, a night sky is formed.
image courtesy of Wall Street International

My "Insinuated Map" (night), bullet holes on paper.

Aesthetically our voices are quite similar.
Our stories are very different. They are, for all intents and purposes not that much alike.

These differences make us individuals within the context of a greater art conversation that affects women artists. Making comparisons is not exactly productive for our future, but we do it a lot at each others' expense.


A fellow-artist female friend mentioned to me that her "hand" is not as delicate as other women's.
Neither is mine. But that is a Good Thing.
The more positive way to say that is, "My hand is aggressive", or "My hand is rapid."
or
"I choose simple, fat stitches because I want the work to be done at a rapid pace, and I want my message read fast and gratifying for the viewer, up close and far away."

The moment that a female artist is upheld or chosen BECAUSE
of her delicate nature or artistic style, well, We have a problem.

It feels so Victorian - to be judged by the delicacy of one's work, while others whose stitches were sloppy were held in lower esteem, less viable or valuable. I have a background in design, but my work has always been about content before execution - ultimately I am more inspired by the combination of things rather than didactic details and fortitude of perfection.If another artist making the "same kind" of work, it provides a bit of comfort that I am not alone with my ideas. There is nothing scarier than not being original and that's being lonely.