Sunday, March 2, 2014

writing for San Francisco Arts Quarterly

This month marks my one year anniversary of writing for San Francisco Arts Quarterly (SFAQ).
Sometimes, when I go to art openings or sit with artists and colleagues I hear complaints about criticism, "sustainable art journalism," the status of the "SF artworld" in general and the lack of art writing "out there."

The primary definition of the word criticism is basically: to express a "negative opinion," to find fault with something. But the less popular definition is to analyze, to weigh both merits and faults objectively. I go to see art and write about  it so that I can offer more to the reader than what meets the eye. True, it is my perspective, but I don't call myself an art critic - I call myself an art writer.

To read my most recent archives, visit the SFAQ archive.

A hand selected list of reviews can also be found on my website.

And for instant gratification, a few of my picks for the year:


 Ben Barretto
Above: (L) Tear Away, 2013. polyester and lycra athletic trainer pants. 61cm x 91.5cm.
(R) Three on Three, 2013. polyester and lycra athletic trainer pants. 61cm x 76cm
Image courtesy of the artist and The Popular Workshop
Below: desert, 2013. retired rock climbing ropes. 111.5 x 140cm
Image courtesy of the artist and The Popular Workshop


 Above: Your Motion Says You Are In the Mood, 2013. wood, paint, floor padding, misc. 
approx. 96" x 84", Photo by Kristine Eudey.
Below: Untitled sculpture from "your motion says you are in the mood" at n/a gallery, Oakland, 2013. wood, resin, fern, balloon, misc., approx. 108" x 84". Photo by Kristine Eudey.


Above: Interior view of Oculus by Kate Short. 
Foreground, Chris Duncan, Everything All At Once, live performance.  
Oculus, approx. 10' diameter x 8" tall comprised of speakers. Photo by Leora Lutz.


Above: Installation view of "Tonight, Tonight" by Facundo Arganaraz. 
Image courtesy of the artist and Highlight Gallery.
Below: Passenger III, automobile paint, direct to substrate print, brass fitting on aluminum composite panel, 60" x 48". Image courtesy of the artist and Highlight Gallery.
(*Please cite responsibly and accordingly if you happen upon these for your own "research," Pinterest, PR or whatever: include all artist's information, artwork specifics and photographer courtesies.)