Sunday, February 10, 2008

Leora Lutz Go About: Merry Karnowsky Gallery

It sure was a nice coincidence that Merry Karnowsky stopped by the gallery today. She was eating brunch next door at Dusty's with James Panozzo, the director of Tarfest and Lawrence Asher Gallery in Miracle Mile - right across the street from the La Brea Tar Pits next to LACMA.

I went to her show last night, curated by Brad Benedict - a collective of artists he has gathered together. BIG SHOW for the BIG SPACE!

This was a renovation that happened for Shepard Fairey's show this past holiday. Which I missed like the busy person I am.

I think for such big-name artists (Herst, Banksy etc) the galleries could have the show up for a longer time than with newer artists or group shows. By the time all the press comes out the show is over....
this may not be very efficient from a business standpoint, especially if they pre-sold the entire show before it even went up because "there is nothing left to buy, so why keep it up" - or "you have to wait 3 months for the piece you bought instead of 2." But from an art community exposure standpoint I think it would be a good idea.

Merry mentioned that the space will be put back into 2 spaces and someone is already on board to rent it. I didn't pry and ask who it was, just congratulated her and seguewayed into the new Berlin location she is opening in March!!

Hopefully Berlin won't be the new China. I want her to do well, and I heard that lots of big galleries that moved to China lost a lot of money and had to close. I forgot to ask her if she speaks German....
and what this little door is under the stairwell:

Outside was set up a pickup truck with an amp feeding off the battery - there are a grand piano in the back of the truck + other instruments, 2 guys....kind of aa Tom Waites version of a Beatles song going on back there.

I suppose if I am going to blog more for these Go-Abouts, I need to start asking more questions.
Like, "Who are you"? or "What is that?"